Log in

Genes Zone

Question: Do u have much experience in science? :)

Asked by anthony192 to Louise, Michaela, Sian, Steve, Yvette on 13 Jun 2010 in Categories: .

0Short link http://ias.im/27.28 | Comment on this question

• Photo: Steven KiddleSteven Kiddle answered on 12 Jun 2010:

No, not yet, i’ve only been doing science research for two years yet.

0

• Photo: Sian HardingSian Harding answered on 12 Jun 2010:

Really a lot. I have been a Prof for 8 years, and its 33 years since my first degree. I wish I could say I knew more though

0

• Photo: Yvette WilsonYvette Wilson answered on 12 Jun 2010:

A fair amount as I’ve been doing research for 9 years now. During this time the main things that I have learnt are how to identify interesting questions in my field and the general tools that I can use to solve them. When it comes to individual experiments it still takes me a long time to plan the methods that I will use if I haven’t done that experiment before. For example, what chemicals am I going to need and what equipment I need and how to use it. Normally there are lots of other people in the same department (or at another university) who can help with this sort of thing.

0

• Photo: Louise JohnsonLouise Johnson answered on 12 Jun 2010:

Thirteen years since I finished my degree.

..What!?! Has it been that long? OUCH.

0

• Photo: Michaela LivingstoneMichaela Livingstone answered on 13 Jun 2010:

I think that I’m a baby when it comes to science experience! I’m in my 3rd year of my PhD, I’ve got another year or so to go, and before this obviously I did my degree which had a bit of practical experience, and I also did a summer project between terms in a lab during my degree, but yeah, compared to others, I’ve not got THAT much experience really, though still, three years in a lab every day is quite a bit!

0